The selection process is multi-stage:
Applications are evaluated based on the applicant’s qualifications (certificates, CV), letters of recommendations, research interests and motivation, and especially how the applicant matches the project idea he/she is applying for.
After screening all completed applications, the committee will compile a list of candidates to be interviewed by video conference. This process will take up to 4 weeks.
2. Video conference interviews with pre-selected candidates
Pre-selected candidates will be interviewed over video conference software (in English) and will have ca. 1 week notice. After the interviews, the IMPRS-SHH faculty will determine the top candidates. These candidates will be invited for a recruitment symposium in Jena. Applicants who were not selected after the pre-selection or interviews will be informed at this stage.
3. Recruitment symposium in Jena for top candidates
Short-listed candidates will be invited to a recruitment symposium. They will have time for the procurement of visas, preparation of the interview, etc.
Economy-class travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by the IMPRS-SHH for participants in the recruitment symposium.
The recruitment symposia are an opportunity for both sides – candidates and IMPRS-SHH faculty members – to get to know each other. They therefore include various events:
- Candidate lectures (the candidates present their research experience in a 10 min. talk followed by a 10 min. discussion)
- Visits to institutes (to get to know the facilities and future colleagues)
- Get-together with the current PhD students of the IMPRS-SHH
- Reception in a relaxed atmosphere
- Guided tour through the town of Jena
After the recruitment symposium, the IMPRS-SHH faculty makes the final selection which is confirmed by the Managing Board. The selected candidates are announced to the respective faculty (German “Fakultät”).